Easy Peasy Pasta Dinner with Catelli Healthy Harvest
And so it begins again for another year; school. New beginnings for many, some of the same old for others. While my son is in his second year at the same high school, my daughter is just beginning her first year of university. In fact, as I sit here typing, I am at my sister’s kitchen table in Vernon, B.C., slightly halfway to our destination at the University of British Columbia. I’m going through all the emotions right now; dread, sadness, desperation (lol), and always…hope. I mean, we can always hope that as parents we have done the best job possible raising our children. The real test comes when they leave home for the first time and are entirely on their own. She’s pretty bright, thrifty, friendly, confident, and most of all, independent. I think those qualities alone will get her far in life.
Back to the beginning of the school year…that means the beginning to many after school activities as well. Dance classes, swimming lessons, and sports. For our family, it’s football. After a long day at school our 15 year old is ravenous! He comes home and immediately polishes off any leftovers within sight. Then, I usually scramble to get something quick and nutritious on the table before practice. Pasta is best, of course, and I like to keep it healthy by using Catelli Ancient Grains, made from all natural 100% whole grain Canadian wheat and 5 ancient grains including Amaranth, Teff, Quinoa, Sorghum, and Millet. Each serving contains 12 g of protein, 8 g of fibre and 25% of your recommended daily iron intake. My recipe uses fusilli, but you could use the other Ancient Grains ‘short cuts’ rotini or macaroni. I bet you could even use the ‘long cuts’; spaghetti or spaghettini.
Quick Pasta, Tomato, and Shrimp Weeknight Dinner
- 1 pkg (340 g) Catelli Ancient Grains Fusilli
- 1 pot boiling salted water
- 2 shallots; finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 large punnet fresh mixed cherry or grape tomatoes (around 20)
- handful of fresh thyme
- zest of a lemon; juice of one half lemon
- shrimp (I count 5 per person)
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan Reggiano
- Boil pasta according to package directions but drain (reserving 1/8 cup liquid) two minutes earlier than posted time.
- Add olive oil, shallots, and garlic to a large lidded pan and sauté until translucent.
- Slice each tomato in half and squeeze to de-seed. Add de-seeded tomatoes to the pan and cover.
- When the tomatoes have released some juice, add thyme, lemon zest, shrimp, vinegar and lemon juice. Cover.
- Add shrimp and cook until they become pink.
- Add Catelli Ancient Grains Fusilli and reserved pasta water and simmer for a few minutes to allow flavours to come together.
- Add some grated Parmesan Reggiano and enjoy!