Mini Lemon Cheesecakes with Extra Lemon of course…
I come from a long line of people who like to save useful things. Please don’t ever call us ‘packrats’ because everything we save has an intended purpose and we’ll use it…someday. There was a point in time when I would just shake my head at the heaps of wool, cabinets full of material, and all the old antiques hanging around my mother’s house. Sometimes it felt like the walls were closing in on me whenever I would go back for a visit and other times there was barely enough room to turn around. I don’t really know what actually caused her to start cleaning everything out and selling the old antiques (some of which I now ironically feel would be useful to me as blog props) but I can only speculate that it was because I had casually mentioned torching the house when they leave this world instead of going through the work of sorting and finding a new home for each and every ‘treasure’. I know, I’m a horrible daughter. Anyway, I found these mini glass containers (also conveniently filled with chocolate mousse) at Costco and I knew they would be perfect to make mini cheesecakes in. I guess in this case I’m the collector…cough…hoarder!…cough.
This post is going to be heavy on the photos because I had one of those rare days when the photo shoot actually worked out. I had my sidekick/artistic director helping out with some of the propping and lighting. I love being mom to such a artistic and talented young lady and I’m tickled that she is in the very process of starting her own blog, just like her momma!I’m guessing you don’t just want to stare at Mini Lemon Cheesecakes all day so here’s the recipe:
Mini Lemon Cheesecakes with Lemon Curd
2 cups graham crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
2 8-ounce bars cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp lemon zest
4 large egg yolks
Zest of ½ lemon
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
6 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- Heat oven to 325° F. In a food processor, process cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
- Pour into the piecrust and bake until the center is set but still slightly wobbly, 40 to 50 minutes for a regular sized cheesecake pie, about 20 minutes for the individuals. Let cool, then chill until firm, 4 to 5 hours. Top with lemon zest before serving.
Method For the Lemon Curd:
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, about 7 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, stirring until consistency is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to serving container. Let cool. Refrigerate for about an hour or until chilled.